USA 2011: A call for soul searching
TSR II, 649: Having thus the programme for this immediate period outlined before us, what are we going to do about it? This programme cannot succeed nor can this middle party in the world—intermediate between the partisans and the groups pro and con in world affairs—come to fruition and constructive activity without each one realising the need, and bending anew every effort—individual, financial and spiritual—to the helping of the Plan.
[CNN] Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, a conservative Democrat, is a political centrist first elected in 2006. She has served as chairwoman of the House Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee and also holds seats on the House Science and Technology and Armed Services committees.
A moderate Democrat, Giffords has drawn the ire of the right, especially for her support of the health care bill. Shortly following her vote in favor of the health care reform law last March, her office in Tucson was vandalized, leaving the front door smashed. She won her third term in a closely contested race against a Tea Party-sponsored candidate.
As of Saturday, Arizona Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' name appeared on a website titled "take back the 20" as part of a list originally issued by Sarah Palin of vulnerable House Democrats. A map on the site showed crosshairs over the contested Democratic districts.
At the time, Giffords responded to the map by saying on MSNBC that her long-serving colleagues had "never seen anything like it."
"The thing is, the way that she has it depicted has the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district," Giffords said in March. "When people do that, they've got to realize there's consequences to that action."
At an event roughly three years ago, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords took a
question from Jared Loughner, the man accused of trying to assassinate her
and killing six other people. According to two of his high school friends
the question was essentially this: "What is government if words have no
Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik eagerly took issue with what he saw as the cause of Saturday's violence, the "day in, day out vitriol" of talk radio and television.
"That may be free speech but it's not without consequences," he said.
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government, the anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this county is getting to be outrageous. Unfortunately, Arizona, I think, has become sort of the capital," he said. "We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
TSR II (written prior to 1939): The New Group of World Servers should therefore organise [Page 646] for itself a programme covering this period, under the direction of Those who watch, on the inner, spiritual side of life. This programme must have three objectives:—
1. To discover, educate and blend together the men of good will, demonstrating to them the fact that in every country in the world, without exception, much is being done along the lines of
a. International understanding and the brotherhood of nations.
b. The betterment of human conditions by groups, churches and organisations, working along the new lines, without hatred, eliminating attack on groups or persons and the expressing of a partisan spirit,
c. Religious unity and spiritual unfoldment within and without the churches,
d. Educational activity, carried forward along lines of non-separativeness and broad inclusiveness.
This can be done through the instrumentality of a new magazine which will be the organ of the men of good will.
2. To prepare the men of good will for a repetition upon a far larger scale of the "act of appeal" which took place on May 6th, 1936. Then the Great Invocation was used by millions, and of its effectiveness there can be no doubt. It greatly strengthened the hands of the Hierarchy and established a "channel of contact" which can never again be broken. Greater similar efforts can be launched during the next few years and they will embody the next great spiritual effort and expression of the men of good will for which the intermediate period is a preparation. It is desirable that there should be, if possible, a far [Page 647] wider use of the radio, so that sequentially and following the journey of the sun, there may go forth over the air this appeal to God at the time of the full moon. The day of appeal will be the expression of the spiritual attitude of humanity and will lead to a subjective spiritual synthesis between the men of good will and the New Group of World Servers and the inner spiritual Hierarchy which is working to bring about the manifestation of the new order on earth, to inaugurate the New Age, and to materialise the kingdom of God on the physical plane.
To this future day of appeal or world prayer much thought and preparation should be given, so that the results achieved can be even more definite and potent than in the first quite successful attempt. Prayer or appeal is either a potent way of setting certain great forces in motion or it is not. The testimony of the ages is in favour of its efficacy along these lines.
3. To hold before humanity, as part of the living instruction which the men of good will will teach and live out in their daily lives, the necessity of a great group participation in a Day of Forgiveness and of Forgetting. This may be possible in a few years' time, but could be effectively tried in 1942. This is a forgiveness which is based upon a recognition of the universality of human error in the past, and the fact that there is no blame to be apportioned to this or that group, nation or church, but that we have all made mistakes, have all failed to understand, and have all been guilty of lack of love and of tolerance. It is not, therefore, a forgiveness which is based on a spirit of magnanimity or a sense of expediency or superiority, but upon a desire to forget the past, and to push [Page 648] forward into the New Age and participate in the new social order, free from the ancient hatreds, relinquishing the memory of the old mistakes in policy, judgment and method, and ignoring the habitual barriers and our normal separative instincts.
This is the triple programme to which the New Group of World Servers is pledged and in which we are urged to participate. To this endeavour they will in their turn call the men of good will. They have no other programme or intention.
TSR V, 746: True Democracy is as yet unknown; it awaits the time when an educated and enlightened public opinion will bring it to power; towards that spiritual event, mankind is hastening. The battle of Democracy will be fought out in the United States.
[NGSM] The battle of Democracy is no longer between left and right; it's between the LOWER extremes and the HIGHER synthesis, the true "middle," the CENTER. In that battle, the modern disciple cannot remain indifferently neutral.
Between the Purpose of Shamballa and the Service of, by and for Humanity
there is the Plan of the Hierarchy.
Teaching about the Purpose is co-substantial with
serving the Plan of, by and for the "middle party:" HUMANITY.
The affirmation of the Purpose and the intuitive perception of the Plan:
the goal of all spiritual training.
Balancing and Synthesis of the Opposites
by Roberto Assagioli, MD
TSR II, 676: The New Group of World Servers seeks to help in the restoration of World balance and peace through the activity-coordinated, definite, and applied—of this emerging group of people, who can constitute a third group or "middle party" (to borrow a phrase from the field of politics) between those who are fighting for, and those who are fighting against, any group, religious organisation, political affiliation or form of government.
is a circle whose center is everywhere
Life Sprouting from a Decentralized Center.
center of the Will of God I stand.
Agni Yoga Sloka 1
The Era of Maitreya
1. They will ask, "Can the time of Maitreya create a New Era?"
Answer, "If the Crusades brought a new age, then truly the Era of Maitreya is a thousandfold more significant." In such consciousness should one proceed.
MDR (2011-01-07): This is a holy Name and it needs to be brought before the public in an undistorted manner. Already the Black Lodge seeks to tar this name and make of it a laughing stock. They must not succeed in this.
We do not support the violence of the Crusades. The Army of Maitreya, is endlessly more potent, and it is an 'Army of Love'. Christ is the Supreme Commander of the Forces of Light. One of His great purposes now is to prevent the "final war" as the Tibetan calls it.
Let us hold the Name "Maitreya" high, so that the world can come to appreciate the Eastern origin of the One we now call the Christ. This will help link East with West and can bring unity to a fragmented humanity. But first the "sword of discrimination" which He will bring.
We are entering the "Era of Maitreya". Let us be cognizant of this fact and vigilant in presenting His Name before those who must hear it.
MDR: This (Maitreya) is a holy Name and it needs to be brought before the public in an undistorted manner. Already the Black Lodge seeks to tar this name and make of it a laughing stock. They must not succeed in this.
[JB] Could we consider the malicious use of the "the crosshairs of a gun sight" symbol, and the subsequent reaction to ban it, an attempt from the Black Lodge to ban the Symbol of the New Age through unconscious agents?
The same thing happened with the swastica, didn't it? I don't think that the Nazis were fully conscious of the manipulative forces scheming behind the scenes either.
[MDR] We are entering the "Era of Maitreya". Let us be cognizant of this fact and vigilant in presenting His Name before those who must hear it.
[JB] Both His Name and His Symbols, I would add.
[MDR] Thank you Jose for these important thoughts. I think I need to be better informed about "the crosshairs of the gun sight", so please help me get up to date on this.
There is no question, that the battle is on. And yes, His symbols as well, of course.
[JB] Dear Michael: The NGSM.org webpage dedicated to this service
provides some background.
A brief summary:
1. Sarah Palin's campaign placed and published 20 "crosshairs" (an even-armed cross projecting from the center of a circle) in a map of the United States showing 20 Democrats to be defeated in the 2010 midterm elections.
2. Arizona Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was among those targeted. Giffords objected for exactly the same reasons that resulted in her being shot last Saturday, that is, such symbol, accompanied by Palin's rhetoric of "Don't retreat, reload!", could incite an unbalanced person to act on the subliminal message.
3. Yesterday, Rep. Robert Brady, D-Pennsylvania, said he will introduce legislation making it a federal crime for a person to use language or symbols that could be perceived as threatening or inciting violence against a Member of Congress or federal official.
Currently, there is a heated debate in the United States. The right claims that "there's no evidence" to link the symbol to the shooting. The left claims that there is no equivalence to the extremist "Don't retreat, reload!" rhetoric. The center (best represented by Giffords herself, now in coma) claims that words and symbols do matter.
The fact that Arizona is at the very center of the controversy and that this state is also hosting the forthcoming USR conference should make us all ponder about the spiritual significance of the recent events and our responsibility to provide a correct esoteric perspective. After all, words and symbols are at the very heart of any esoteric philosophy studied and applied as a way of life. -JB (2011-01-11)
[WRP 2011-01-12] It appears Sarah Palin is the principal victim of the shooting. In a video she posted to her Facebook page, she sits, in front of a fireplace and beside an American flag like some cruel joke on Franklin Delano Roosevelt, wreathing herself in pity because people are coming to the conclusion that politicians like her - the ones who have spent the last two years talking about guns and civil war and reloading and such - should bear some of the blame for what happened in Arizona.
Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, Savage, O'Reilly and the rest of the right-wing media machine have turned professional victimhood into a license to print money, and people like Sarah Palin are all too happy to jump on that bandwagon. You're losing your country, your rights, your guns, your family, your religion, the sanctity of your marriage, the supremacy of your heterosexuality, my God, you're losing Christmas, for the love of God! You're losing everything ...
Speaking of "taking up arms," here is Palin's explanation for such rhetoric: "When we say 'take up our arms,' we are talking about our vote."
Of course. How could we have missed such an obvious reference? Silly us.
In a message posted on her Facebook page Sunday afternoon, Sarah Palin reiterated her call for supporters to "reload" in the battle against health care reform, a term that provoked controversy last week after critics accused her of inciting violence against members of Congress. Presenting her message as an exhortation to college basketball teams competing in March Madness, Palin stood her ground in using firearm imagery against the administration.
"The crossfire is intense, so penetrate through enemy territory by bombing through the press, and use your strong weapons - your Big Guns - to drive to the hole. Shoot with accuracy; aim high and remember it takes blood, sweat and tears to win," Palin wrote. In the headline of her update, she mockingly predicted that the message would be "subject to new politically correct language police censorship."
|AAB-DK . "A few corrupt and ignorant senators consistently outrage the good intentions of the mass of American people by perpetuating these evil conditions and fighting by every possible means to prevent their being changed; they play upon the fears of their constituents and block every move made to bring about a better and cleaner situation which would be in line with the constitution. These shortsighted politicians attempt to sidetrack the issue and throw dust in the eyes of their constituents... For their attitude and conduct there is today no possible excuse." -POH 112 (written before 1949)|
[NGSM] For men and women of goodwill it's self-evident that energy follows thought. Goodwill promotes right human relations; the politics of anger promotes violence.
Irresponsible, fear-mongering rhetoric should be considered "corrupt and ignorant" regardless of the direct or indirect consequences of such words.
We are not assigning partisan political blame in the Tucson tragedy. But neither are we shying away from the responsibility to denounce a media machinery drawing out the lowest common denominator in order to destroy the foundations of a civil society.